NSF CAREER Grant Writing Bootcamp
Submission Deadline: The Deadline for 2017 has passed
The CUNY ASRC’s Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA) office—in collaboration with CCNY’s Grove School of Engineering and the Research Foundation of CUNY Office of Award Pre-Proposal Support (RFCUNY APPS)—is offering grant writing bootcamps for CUNY faculty planning to submit proposals to NSF’s annual Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER) competition. The bootcamps are open to tenure track, early career faculty at all CUNY colleges who meet NSF’s CAREER eligibility requirements.
These awards are targeted toward those faculty “who have the potential to serve as academic role models in research and education.” Applicants may be in any field supported by the NSF and should be both outstanding researchers and show an explicit commitment to teaching.
Assistant professors will be guided in the development and writing of highly competitive proposals during the ASRC CAREER bootcamp. Dr. Linda Vigdor, CUNY ASRC Grants Manager and Writer, will lead the weekly sessions during the planned 14-week program. Two separate bootcamps are planned—one for first-time applicants and another for resubmissions to the NSF CAREER program.
Key topics to be covered
- Bootcamp confidentiality; making time for proposal writing / creating a work plan; coordinating with home institution grants office; close reading of the RFP; Researching what’s been funded by the program
- Locating and understanding review criteria; overview of Intellectual Merits and Broader Impacts; discussion of specific RFP requirements; directorate specific info; Self-assessment of readiness to apply
- Drafting the 1-page overview / Document to send to PO to solicit advice
- Crafting a title; talking to Program Officers; Writing strategies
- Justification /Background; Preliminary results
- Experimental plan
- Educational plan (w assessment plan) & Broader impacts
- Integration of research & education
- Project Summary
- Internal mock panel review
- External Peer review (facilitated by RF CUNY)
- Revisions / final review & submission